Sunday, July 29 – Stay or go?
The day started with increasing rain and storm. After a night of already heavy rain and winds. The tent started to fly up and down. We where getting nervous if Bakkie would hold that strong of a wind. Ewout walked back and forth to put extra pegs in, but the wind pulled them out again and again. In the meantime the tent had had enough rain and started to let water through at several points. The moment that camping is not so nice anymore. Yesterday evening many people had left the campsite, something we understood now. Our Weather App said it would become dry in the afternoon but then it would rain heavy again tomorrow. And the strong winds would stay. What to do? We discussed for some time to ‘sit it out’ and be miserable as packing all in the rain ins’t nice either with to little girls who then need to wait in the car for 2 hours. At some point it looked like it was getting drier and we decided to quickly pack up and find a drier place. We reserved a cabin on a next campsite to stay two nights and let the bad weather blow over.
Monday July 30 – A moment to recover
We had landed at a campsite on a lake and with a swimming pool. The weather was not super but the pool heated, so you already know where Anna was to be found. We enjoyed the space and the walls around us. Wonderful to have a real kitchen, an oven and a private bathroom and all a normal standing heights. In the meantime, we had come to the conclusion that the Bloomie brakes needed some attention. Even Ewout thought it was better to look for a garage and went along a number of them today. Unfortunately none was willing to spend time: busy busy busy, summer etc as arguments. That evening we discussed what to do next, but a clear answer we didn’t find. Do we want to stay or continue? On the advice of a former colleague and friend we decided to go to Trollstigen, a beautiful place in Norway and be careful during driving as ‘pumping the breaks’ was needed to get to a full stop.
Tuesday, July 31 -Trollstigen had to wait
On the way to Trollstigen we were looking for a campsite. The weather forecast was not positive and once we arrived at a campsite, camping Mjelva in Andalsnes, we decided to book a cabin. Small but beautiful. Meanwhile, the search for a garage started because Bloomie and braking was increasingly becomes a challenge. And with a Bakkie behind it and in the mountains it was time for a thorough investigation. Ewout called some garages and could eventually make an appointment for the next morning.
Wednesday 1 August – Endless calls
Ewout and Anna were on their way to the garage early to have the brakes bled in hope that air in lines was all that made the breaks soft; but there was little air in the system. This was not a simple fix. It was time to switch on the ANWB because driving without proper braking was / is dangerous. A mechanic came by to see and the conclusion was drawn that a new master brake cylinder was needed.
This could not be made directly because the part had to be ordered first, but luckily it could still be ordered! The prediction was that the part would come in on Monday and Bloomie would be made Monday or Tuesday. It was very nice that Bloomie could be made, but in the meantime we were at a campsite and we could not do much. We had agreed with friends in Sweden for the weekend where we could not get to now. Fortunately, we signed up for the ANWB (dutch road help / AAA) so we could get replacement transport after pressing them hard for it. Unfortunately not today.
Thursday, August 2 – Success!
The day started with phone calls again. We did not want to wait until Bloomie was ready, but we wanted to go. Replacement transport was eventually arranged, albeit that it was a smaller car than Bloomie. But, we could do something again. We decided to drive the Trollstigen directly. How beautiful! It was cloudy, but we had managed to have a clear view from above.
We did not continue driving to the Geiranger fjord, which we saved for a next trip. Meanwhile, waiting for approval from the ANWB to get Bloomie towed to Sweden once repaired. We could then go on and on to a weekend with dear Swedish friends. On top of the Trollstigen came the surprising bell that it was approved. Glad we drove down. Time to repack and to pack only the much needed in the temporary car. While the Trollstigen descended, we were glad that we did not do that with Bloomie and came down safely.
Friday August 3 – Leaving Bloomie behind
We said goodbye to the nice campsite and parked Bloomie and Bakkie at Nils Heggem, the garage. The service was super, thet thought along with us and especially wanted us to have a nice trip and not wait. With a heavy heart we left faithful Bloomie behind. On to Sweden. Forced on by all the beeps and bells of a modern car (juck). The rain started and we drove to a stop in Norway. Arriving there we made our first fire of the journey. It soon felt like a Swiss home during winter.
Saturday, August 4 – Warm welcome
After a quiet start we picked everything up again and set course for Sweden. We passed the beautiful Roros, a village that consists entirely of wooden houses. We crossed the border between Norway and Sweden. There was a fence, but that was all. After lunch we arrived at a beautiful Swedish wooden house. A warm and friendly welcome where we just had our own place together with good company. We enjoyed it.
to be continued…This entry was posted in Europe